Shakespeare told us that the eyes are the window to the soul—it stands to reason, then, that the front of your home is the window to your domestic soul.
The good news is that curb appeal comes in many forms and at many price points. But there are also relatively small things you can do that add up to great curb appeal, which is particularly important if buying a new Saussy Burbank home is on your to-do list. You’ll want your current home in tip-top shape for potential buyers!
Here are some ideas to get the exterior of your current home ready to list:
- Paint – Take a look at the items on your house that are painted—it could be the front door, porch rails, porch floor and ceiling, shutters, even the mailbox post. Is the paint faded or chipping? If so, it’s time for a touch-up! Fresh paint is one of the best ways to bring life to your home. When it comes to choosing colors, go for neutral with a touch of personality. Maybe it’s Charleston blue on the porch ceiling or a bright red door—accent colors aren’t just for throw pillows!
- Lawn – Nothing looks (or smells!) better than a freshly-mown lawn. But mowing is only part of the curb appeal. Be sure to use an edging tool or weed-eater to create clean lines along your sidewalks and driveway, and bag or blow away any grass clippings. If your lawn has gotten a little sparse in the Charleston weather or seems to be more weeds than grass, choose a grass seed that works for your yard and patch up those spots.
- Landscaping – The difference between a nice house and a beautiful house with a great yard is your choice of trees, bushes, plants and flowers. This is where you can get creative and make things interesting! Mix large potted plants (match that accent color!) with in-earth plants, use tight, leafy shrubs alongside tall, flowy grasses and place flowering annuals close to evergreen succulents. Mulching your planting areas brings the look together. Lastly, keep those weeds at bay to be sure your landscaping gets the undivided attention they deserve. Potential buyers will love the first impression your landscaping makes!
- Cleaning – Lowcountry weather can make its mark on your windows, siding, porches, sidewalks, driveway and landscaping hardscapes. Take a good look around your home and see what could use a good cleaning. A pressure washer is an excellent tool for areas like sidewalks and siding that will have them looking brand new. For the windows that are coated in pollen, consider using a hose with a specialized cleaner. You might be amazed at how much more you can see once they’re sparkling clean. Inside, potential buyers will see how much natural light the freshly-cleaned windows let through.
- Decorations – Just like the final touches inside your home, your curb appeal can be taken up a notch with a little décor. Front porches beg for rocking chairs, settees and porch swings—don’t forget the accent tables where you can set your cold drink on a warm day! Let your creativity run free as you choose accessories like a doormat, topiaries, candles and wall accents. Make it inviting and eye-catching.
A few weekends of work will have your home’s exterior sparkling and ready for open houses. Next, take all these tips and use them as you design your new Saussy Burbank home in Nexton or Kiawah River. Our team is ready to help you build your Charleston dream home. Contact us today to talk about how our builder teams can make curb appeal part of your home’s overall appeal!